I grew up as a girl, so it was hard to avoid seeing all the fads diets, the pills, plans, everything marketed at women to buy into and believe some product that would make you slimmer. The problem with big business using vanity to dupe us and get an extra buck has always been there. It seems to be a way for companies to grab the last dollar you have at the bottom of your messy purse…As if life wasn’t hard enough with everything to juggle, but we also have to constantly weed out false marketing scams and claims of companies bent on taking advantage of the situation. What a hard sell! But I know we’ve all fallen at least once for any of these product claims. Wouldn’t it be great to find something that really works, is healthy, simple and DIY?
So recently I concocted something I believe to be the real deal. All natural, detoxifying and healthy. I’ve made an awesome tea drink with simple ingredients that can fight the bodily malfunctions that add short term gain to the frame. Things such as water retention, bloating, gas. These are huge factors in the difference between having a slim pretty day, and a bloated chubby day. And I will share this recipe with you, because, you know…we’re friends! 🙂 Best thing of all? It’s caffeine free!
Recipe for my “Slim Down Tea”
- 1/4 cup of finely sliced ginger root (fresh)
- 2 bags of herbal dandelion leaf tea (find it at health food stores)
- 1.5 liters of fresh cold water
- Start to boil the water in a a small/medium sauce pan
- Slice up a knob of ginger finely. I like to do 1″ long thin slivers of ginger because I think the ginger really releases all its magic into the tea when it is cut finely.
- Place the sliced ginger into already turned on pot of water…wait for it to reach rapid boil, then lower the heat to a gentle, but rolling simmer.
- Simmer the ginger for 15-20 min. Any longer and it gets kind of bitter and burned, too soon and you don’t have the ginger spiciness in it.
- Turn off the heat. Drop the bags of dandelion leaf tea into it, and cover the pot with a lid, while steeping everything for another 30 mins.
- Remove tea bags and strain the tea with a spoon while pouring into a pitcher. Refrigerate and enjoy for up to 1-3 days!
Why does this concoction work? The reason is because ginger is a soothing cure all to stomach pains and digestion problems. It can also control bloating to a minimum. It is also super good for you! Antioxidants! Dandelion leaf is a natural diuretic and aids in helping your body shed excess water, discouraging water retention and also providing potassium, a mineral which many people lack day to day. Put these two plant powers together and your stomach and body will be thanking you, and you will feel a difference. I like to take this tea cold, in the afternoon to evening…and also all day before any big event! What tricks do you pull to give you an extra edge against feeling pudgy?