I saw this trend a while ago online in various fashion articles. But only recently I tried to get it with a few trial and errors! It is this way of painting each nail with colour polish only partially, so that the nude bare nail still shows up and is part of the look. I think of it as a variation of french tips, where instead of just painting the tips of the nails, you work with other parts of the nail to create negative space and interest. I think partially colouring your nails is super fresh looking, because it shows part of the bare nails, and hints at idea of being naked, natural. It gives the nail a more graphic, designed look as well!
Steps to doing a Colour on Nude Nail Manicure
- Start with clean, well shaped nails. This is an obvious must when trying to achieve this half painted look because your nude nails are actually the star of the show! (I wash and moisturize my nail shaft for a day or two resting them without polish, to let it breathe and grow more healthy)
- Just before painting them, wipe your nails with a tissue moistened with water, to remove excess oils that can cause the chipping of polishes.
- Let your nails dry from the wiping.
- First paint your nails with a transparent base coat all over the nail shaft. The base coat helps so much because naked nails don’t receive colour evenly, so it is like a foundation. Base coats also smooth out ridges in the nail, just make sure it is transparent so the nude nail shows.
- Carefully paint the design in with the colour of choice. I like to do the moons of the nail, which is the bottom half closest to the cuticle. I do an arched shape. I find middle-toned polishes to work the best with this look: ie. not too dark or not too pastel.
- Let the first colour coat dry, then do a second coat of colour, being careful to mirror the shape from before. (This step is optional: intricate designs are not easy to apply a second coat to)
- Put on a clear top coat All over the nail shaft to seal it in. I love to use a clear matte polish as a topper just because it looks super natural on an uncoloured nail.
Graphically designed and painted nails that show off the natural gorgeousness of the naked nail! Try it yourself and let me know how you like it. I’ve seen different variations, you can do a vertical strip, do a star shape or even dot nude nails with a few jewels. The possibilities are practically endless. Main point to do is remember to use a base coat and top coat for best results. 🙂